Translate

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Time


Sierra Leone, Poet
Location: Dayton OH; sierra.leone@sbcglobal.net

Her Passion: "let the beauty of what you love....be what you do" -Rumi  


Time 
Time bending since I set my eyes on my dream
miracles that manipulate the timekeepers watch
a clock could never tell the whole story of a woman
I take deep breaths of reality & move forward willing
here at the corner of occasionally & once in a blue moon
we find ourselves moving swiftly through the darkness.

© Sierra Leone 2012 

My Reflection point:

It is always a pleasure to work with artists! The poem above is one of many I'll share in the next few months from the wonder-filled Sierra Leone. She is a beautiful person. Her particular gift is finding the soul in situations, inspiring others to do the same. She is really fond of the six line format. Me, too. It gives just enough to spur an imagination forward. I got to thinking about time as a compassionate partner - for all of us: the great equalizer.

Time is an interesting partner. No matter how you measure it: sun up, sun down, alignments, wristwatches, grandfather clocks, calendars, smart phones or other human devices - time is what time is: movement. Yes, we can spend time discussing the construct of time, the measurement aspect of time, the rather sterile answers that keep time objective, not personal. Yet as a human being, placed on this earth, in the midst of a creation that continues to cycle, watching our years pass or perhaps our lives growing forward, we are installed in the movement. Time is indeed a partner, because it tracks with us. It aids us in measuring the unmeasurable. It is a guidewire through the mystery.

Among many definitions for the word time, Merriam Webster describes time as a non-spatial continuum. Writers of all sorts often personify time. Scientists and historians shape our collective experiences in awesome chunks of before, now and yet to come.  I feel time as a partner, keeping me honest about all that has unfolded in my life, shaping my ever-so-brief presence on earth. Time is a gift. Nothing has made me more aware of time than the growth of my children, a gift beyond measure. Time can also reveal the hard times, the difficulties, the dark nights of the soul (as Thomas Moore would say.) It's all movement!

"A clock could never tell the whole story of a woman" - such a rich truth. A clock is a human invention. Woman is God's work, which leads me to my reflecting point : time as a partner is Holy allocation. The Mystery is such that it doesn't need an answer. As much as we try to define something, claim we know the answers, the more we're thrown off the scent. We don't need to know more than how we experience it, how it makes us grow and how it brings us closer to our fellow humans and the natural world we share. 

I find it comforting to partner with time, to experience myself as part of the movement. Everyone has a unique understanding of this movement. For me, it's to be in step with God's eternal plan while I measure the days of this earthly life. "...moving swiftly through the darkness" is a beautiful way to track our journey into the Light, where time is inconsequential.

Jean


1 comment: